Departments
Back to Boards & Commissions

CPA News and Items of Interest

CPA Application Packet

CPC Schedule and minutes

Archived Minutes

Community Preservation Projects by Category

    Open Space

    Historic Preservation

    Affordable Housing

 

 

 

Community Preservation Committee

Community Preservation Projects

Historic Preservation

TOWN HALL AND MEMORIAL MALL

Town Hall Master Plan

(Annual Town Meeting 2003 Article 19-6; Special Town Meeting 2005 15-4)

These funds were appropriated to prepare a master plan for the Town Hall Mall, including irrigation and landscaping, and for the restoration of the façade and steps of the Town Hall.  Both the mall and Town Hall subsequently received funding for restorative work which resulted in a more historically accurate façade and a more visitor-friendly community commons.

Town Hall Façade Improvements

(Special Town Meeting [STM] 2004 Article 17H; STM 2005 Article 15-2; STM 2006 Article 11F; STM 2007 Article 12A)

The restoration of the main entrance of Town Hall has helped to preserve the building for future generations.  The restoration work included the replacement of all windows in the administrative area with historically accurate copies approved by the Historic Commission, resetting of the granite steps and installation of new ADA-approved railings, restoration of the concrete work and columns, replacement of the doors, and the total restoration of the pediment/entablature and Town seal.

 

 

Town Hall Mall/Civil War Plaza

(Special Town Meeting [STM] 2005 Article 15-4; STM 2006 Article 11D; STM October 2006 Article 18A; STM 2007 Article 12B)

This project enhanced the Town’s Memorial Mall, the historic space between the Town Hall and Washington Street.  Landscaping improvements to this important Town common space included the installation of an irrigation system, the replacement of pavement, curbing, and masonry walkways on and around the Mall.

 

Braintree Soldiers’ Memorial Statue Restoration

(Town Council Order 13-060)

This Soldiers’ Memorial, constructed of Blue Westerly Granite, was dedicated on June 17, 1874 and honors Braintree soldiers who lost their lives during the Civil War.  The memorial features the figure of a Union soldier holding his rifle at parade rest. The project includes a professional cleaning, repair of the lead seal that connects the pieces of the monument together, replacement of two small pieces of the monument which have broken off and restoration of the brick walkway around the statue.  Community Preservation funds were combined with a Massachusetts Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission Preservation Grant.

 

Original Thayer Library Restoration

The building, constructed in 1874 as the original Thayer Library, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and served as the Town’s library for 75 years before being closed in 1953.  The now vacant structure, which served as the Water and Sewer Department until 2005, is one of the principal anchors of the Town Center Local Historic District established in 1980.  The building itself is a superb example of the Renaissance Revival style with robust architectural detailing.  The structure and land surrounding the building are now subject to a Preservation Restriction Agreement with the Commonwealth.

Assessment and Master Plan

(Town Council Orders #09-063 and 11-046)

In order to restore the building for use as a community meeting space, funds were appropriated for an architectural assessment and for developing a plan of action to include plans and specifications for bidding the restoration project.

Phase I

(Town Council Order 11-029B)

Phase I included flashing and restoration of the original slate roof to prevent further water damage to the structure, repointing two existing chimneys and brick exterior walls, and replacing existing copper gutters.  It became necessary during construction to perform additional structural restoration to the roof to address the aging of the structure.  In June 2011 the Town received a matching allocation of $45,000 from Round 17 of the Massachusetts Preservation Projects Fund to assist in restoration efforts.

 

 

Phase II – work in progress

(Town Council Order 12-029)

Phase II is to include exterior finish carpentry, window restoration and installation of replicas of the original custom stile and rail front doors. 

Phase III Design Services

(Town Council Order 14-044)

Funding has been appropriated to engage the services of an architect to design and draw up plans for acceptance by the Massachusetts Historical Commission [MHC] for construction of Phase III to add a small addition to the rear of the building to guarantee universal access.  Said architect will also help prepare an application for the MHC Preservation Fund Program January grant round. 

HISTORIC SCHOOLS

 Hollis School Façade

(Special Town Meeting 2004 Article 17B)

Originally constructed in 1912, Hollis Elementary School located at 482 Washington Street, is the oldest operating school in Braintree and has both historical and cultural significance for the Town. For this project all exterior wood trim was restored; the brick masonry was re-pointed; cast stone elements were refinished; and the front stairs were reconstructed with railings.

Union School

(Town Council Order 11-045/12-015)

The Union School was constructed in 1869 as a one-room schoolhouse. Currently known as the American Legion building, it is the oldest municipal building in the Town.  As a first effort to restore the property, funding was appropriated for roof restoration.

 

Union School

(Town Council Order 11-045/12-015)

The Union School was constructed in 1869 as a one-room schoolhouse. Currently known as the American Legion building, it is the oldest municipal building in the Town.  As a first effort to restore the property, funding was appropriated for roof restoration.

Funding has also been appropriated to complete a conditions assessment of building’s interior and exterior and to complete a feasibility study for improving the building’s accessibility.

Highlands School Restoration

(Town Council Order 10-050)

The school was constructed in 1930 and is one of the few historic and architecturally significant buildings in Braintree.  Community Preservation funds were appropriated to preserve, rehabilitate and restore the exterior of the school. The areas of the building which were restored include the brick façade, the cast stone façade elements, slate roof shingles, exterior entry lighting to match the original 1930s fixtures, exterior entry doors, and cupola.

 

OTHER HISTORIC BUILDINGS

Thayer/French Houses

(Special Town Meeting 2004 Article 17C)

The General Sylvanus Thayer Birthplace and the Asa French House are two of Braintree’s remaining historic homes and both are located in the Town’s Historic District.  Community Preservation funds were appropriated to renovate the exteriors of both homes in compliance with local and state historic restrictions and using materials and colors appropriate to their respective time periods.

The Asa French House at 766 Washington Street was constructed in about 1699 by Thomas French and is named for Asa French who served as the Town’s first postmaster.  In 1999 the Trustees of Thayer Academy donated the property to the Braintree Historical Society.

 

The Thayer Birthplace was constructed in 1720 by Nathaniel Thayer in Braintree Highlands and was moved to its present location at 786 Washington Street in 1958.  Sylvanus Thayer, known as the “Father of West Point,” was born in the house in 1785.  He studied at West Point under an appointment by President Thomas Jefferson and was later appointed superintendent of the school, which became the first college of engineering in the country at Dartmouth College.  The Birthplace was accepted for inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.

 

 

Daughraty Gym

(Special Town Meeting [STM] 2005 Article 15-5 and STM 2006 Article 11G)

These appropriations were to fund the development of a master plan for the restoration of the Daughraty Gym and for the restoration and preservation of the severely deteriorated roof at the Daughraty Gym, located at 546 Washington Street.  Constructed in 1949, this municipal building holds cultural significance for the Town and its  residents.

 

All Souls Church

(Town Council Orders 11-038/12-01) 

The All Souls Church is a 1905 English Revival church building which is eligible for placement on the National Register of Historic Places as an example of a late 19th century Gothic Revival institutional building.  Community Preservation funding was appropriated for roof and masonry restoration using historically appropriate materials.

 

Gallivan House Roof Preservation

 (Town Council Order 12-033)

The Gallivan House is a 2½ story wood frame center-entrance brick colonial revival style structure designed by the Fallon Brothers of Quincy, constructed in 1931 as a wedding gift for Dr. Gallivan’s wife and included the physician’s office.  It represents a local historical and architectural resource of considerable importance to the Town and has been deemed historically significant by the Braintree Historic Commission.  Purchased by the Braintree Historical Society and located on their “campus,” it is the intention of the Society to renovate and rehabilitate the building as a museum.

HISTORIC CEMETERY

Elm Street Cemetery

(Special Town Meeting 2007 Article 4A)

Funding was appropriated in order to engage a firm to research existing documentary materials and assess site conditions in order to map this historic cemetery and develop a Preservation Management Plan which provides a multi-year preservation and restoration plan for the conservation of monuments and stones.  The new map includes the location of grave markers, monuments and family plots by number and cross-referenced alphabetically by name.

 

Elm Street Cemetery Gravestone Conservation

(Town Council Orders 13-026/13-04)

These appropriations were for gravestone conservation work following the recommendations included in the Preservation Management Plan and resulted in the restoration of gravestones described in the Plan as having “critical need” as well as installation of security measures in the cemetery.

 

Elm Street Cemetery Fence and Stone Wall Restoration

(Town Council Order 16-022/16-023)

 

These appropriations are for restoration of the perimeter cast iron fencing, stone walls, and wrought iron fencing that encloses the cemetery.  This project restores the historic fabric of the cemetery while simultaneously improving the site aesthetics and security.

 

HISTORIC RESOURCES

Preservation of Historic Maps and Street Layouts

(Town Council Order 10-014) 

The Engineering Department and the Department of Planning and Community Development are keepers of record of various historic maps, street maps and roadway layout plans dating back to the early 1800s, as well as the official zoning maps reflecting Town Meeting/Town Council rezoning actions.  These documents had deteriorated and have been preserved by scanning into an electronic format and indexed for easier cataloging and access.  In addition it affords the public access to the scanned plans via electronic media.

Landing Mural Restoration

(Town Council Order 10-063)

  

The Braintree Historical Society received funding for restoration and preservation of an 11.8’ x 5’ oil on canvas entitled “A View of the Landing at Weymouth & Braintree as it was circa 1850.”  The mural was restored by a specialist in fine painting conservation and now hangs in the main lobby of Town Hall for viewing by the general public.

Historic Vital Records Preservation – Scanning/Microfilming and Database Creation

(Town Council Orders 11-029/11-043)

Braintree Town Clerk requested funding for the digital scanning and microfilming of more than 172,000 vital record index cards recording births, marriages and deaths registered in Braintree from the 1640s through 2009.  The project will also result in the creation of a database interface which will allow for enhanced and streamlined access to the index data

 

 

Historical Records Preservation Phase I – not begun

(Town Council Order 11-042)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 
line