Back to Departments




Planning Board FAQs

Town of Braintree Department of Planning and Community Development
90 Pond Street (2nd floor)
Braintree, MA 02184
781 794-8230
Fax: 781 794-8089


How can I get a copy of the Zoning Bylaw?

The Department keeps all plans approved by the Planning Board and Conservation Commission.  If the property in question was part of an application submitted for review there may be a plan on file.


Does the Planning Board need to review my project?

The Planning Staff is available Monday through Friday from 8:30 to 4:30 to meet with anyone interested in discussing a potential project, the permitting process and/or the requirements for application submittal.  It would be prudent to schedule an appointment to ensure staff will be in the office when you would like to come by.


How soon can I get on the Planning Board’s agenda?

There are two kinds of applications heard by the Planning Board:  those necessitating publication of a legal notice and those which do not.  If an application is submitted in a timely manner and does not require a Public Hearing, it may be placed on the Planning Board’s next agenda.  If an application must be heard by Public Hearing, it could be between 30 and 45 days from submission of application to being scheduled as an agenda item.  Obviously, scheduling is dependent on current project load.


Can I get copies of plans and correspondence?

The Department charges a nominal fee for copying ($.20 a page). A full size plan sheet is currently $5.00 per copy.  If a request for documentation requires staff time to research and compile, the charge will be the hourly rate of the administrative staff based on the number of hours required.


When does the Planning Board meet?

The Planning Board has scheduled meetings for 2010 on the second Tuesday of each month [7:00 P.M.] in the Town Hall [Cahill Auditorium].  Please check for a link on the Planning Board section of this web page for the schedule of meetings, which can be downloaded in PDF format, and the current agenda.


Also go to the Department of Planning and Community Development section of this web page to view additional frequently asked questions and answers.