Back to Departments
Braintree Trash & Recycling Home Page
The Town has successfully implemented an automated trash and recycling program. We know change always brings questions that need clarification. A number of questions have arisen since startup. The following contains responses and reminders about various services.
Important to Remember:
- Please have carts curbside by 7:00 am placed 2 ft. apart.
- You are still able to put out two bulk items every week (furniture, box spring and mattress), two or three rolls of bound carpet in three to four foot lengths and two or three bundles of wood cut to three to four foot lengths. In addition, you can call Sunrise Scavenger at 617-361-8000 to schedule your appliance pickup. Please give at least 48 hour notice, prior to your trash pickup day, the first full week of each month.
- Cart lids must be closed so trucks can operate safely.
- Carts should be 2-3 ft. apart (also same distance from bulk) and in a place with at least 12 ft. overhead clearance.
- Please be sure the handles on your carts are on the “house side” not the street side.
- Only the blue and green, commercial-grade trash and recycling carts can be used for curbside pickup. No extra bags or barrels will be picked up.
- If you haven’t received your carts yet, please call 781-794-8088 so we can follow up.
- For those who paid their trash fee after September 4th, you can pick up carts at the Recycling office, 90 Pond Street, 9AM-4PM Tues + Thurs. Please be sure to bring your “paid” receipt with you.
- Overflow trash/recycling can be taken to the Recycling Center, 257 Ivory St. (across from the T). No cleanouts (over 5 bags) or construction material (other than rolls/bundles of carpet or wood 3 ft. lengths.) Old trash barrels, recycling bins, plastic toys, plastic chairs, sand boxes are also accepted in the special containers at the Recycling Center.
- We will continue to bring you periodic updates on this site, or call 781-794-8088 for information or assistance.
Change in Yardwaste Collection Days
Curbside Yardwaste will be picked up on your regular trash day in 2014. Spring: Weeks of April 28, May 5, 12, 19 + 26. Fall: Weeks of Nov. 3,10, 17, 24 and week of Dec. 1
- Pickup begins at 7 a.m. Kindly note that 32 gal capapcity barrels or brown leaf bags should be used; no plastic bags will be collected.
- Stickers to use the trash drop-off center and the leaf compost site are available at the Treasurer’s Office in Town Hall. Please bring your car registration with you. For information, call 781-794-8130.
Braintree's trash vendor is Sunrise Scavenger – Customer Service 617-361-8000.
Weekly Curbside Trash & Recycling Pickup
Curbside pickup of recycling is done weekly on your regular trash day. Single Stream Recycling allows us to put all recyclables into one cart. No more separating.
Resident Trash Drop-off is located to the left side of the Covanta Transfer Station in the Recycling Drop-off area 257 Ivory Street (across from Braintree T). This service is intended for the occasional extra trash a resident might have when they do not wish to wait until their next curbside pickup. A Resident Trash Sticker is needed to utilize this area. Hours are Monday-Saturday 7AM-3PM. Stickers are included in the trash fee paid by residents with curbside collection and can be obtained at the Tax Collector’s Office/Town Hall (781-794-8130) Monday, Wednesday, Friday 8:30AM-4:30PM; Tuesday & Thursday 8:00AM-6:00PM.
For missed trash or recycling pick-ups, or to schedule a pick-up of appliances: (as the Recycling Office is not open full time), please call
Sunrise Scavenger – Customer Service 617-361-8000 24 Hour/7Days a Week, please leave a message and it will be followed up on the next work day. All other questions call the Recycling Office 781-794-8088. All calls received after 4PM or on weekends will be returned the next business day.
Holiday Schedule For Trash & Recycling Collection
Whenever a scheduled collection day falls on a holiday, that day's collection and all remaining collections for the week will be delayed one day. Friday's collection will be on Saturday. Holidays falling on Saturday do not change the schedule. Holidays falling on a Sunday will result in a one day delay.
Holidays - No Trash Serivce (one day delay)
New Years, ML King Day, President's Day, Patriot's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veteran's Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.
Special Appliance & Scrap Metal Collection Curbside:
Residents are able to recycle all appliances plus additional items such as swing sets, grills (no tanks-take to recycling drop-off center), air conditioners, refrigerators, lawn mowers (no gasoline), and any metal items not containing hazardous materials. To arrange for pickup, call Sunrise Scavenger at least 48 hours prior to your trash day @ 617-361-8000. If calling after office hours, leave your address, inclusive of "Braintree" & state the day of the week that your trash is collected & what items(s) you are putting out for pickup. Pickups for 2014 will be on your regular trash day by a special truck the weeks of Jan 6, Feb 3, Mar 3, Apr 7, May 5, Jun 2, Jul 7, Aug 4, Sep 8, Oct 6, Nov 3, and Dec 1, 2014. Call 781-794-8088 for additional information if needed. Please place item away from carts.
Bulk Items: Two item per week is allowed:
Mattress and box spring (considered one item), stoves, microwaves, furniture, carpeting and/or lumber (in 3' lenths bundled– Limit 3 bundles) .
Clean-outs/Excessive Trash Amounts
Curbside trash pickup is intended for normal, weekly household trash. Excessive rubbish that is generated by cleanouts due to moving or periodic 'house cleanings', must be contracted by the homeowner to be removed by private vendors, normally with a dumpster or truck. Our curbside vendors are authorized to 'tag' items they are not authorized to remove (as an example, TVs), or more than two bulk items. Residents may also bring excessive trash and construction materials to the Covanta Transfer Station, 257 Ivory Street, at a reduced disposal cost of 10 cents a pound.
TRASH Fee/Sticker Information: 781-794-8130 Tax Collectors Office
225 Plain St. Compost Site: Grass, leaves, branches, brush & Christmas trees. (Sticker Required) Open: April 1-January 31: Wednesday - Sunday 7:30 AM-2:45 PM
Closed: February & March.
Additional Information/Highway Dept. 781-794-8950
Compost bins can be purchased at the Salvaggio Recycling Center at a cost of $40 each, Saturdays, from 9AM to 2PM.
Recyclable Items Are:
All Paper (not contaminated by food):
All Colored & Construction Paper (staples/paper clips OK)
Newspapers, including inserts, Mail, Envelopes of all types, Cardboard
Paper Bags, Paperback Books, Telephone Books, & Magazines
Junk Mail, Brochures, Flyers, & Catalogues & Books (with hard covers removed)
Office Paper, Envelopes, File & Pendaflex Folders
Cereal, Shoe, Pasta, & Cracker Boxes, etc., (remove liners)
Milk & Juice Cartons
EMPTY food, paint and cosmetic aerosol cans (remove plastic lid)
Glass Bottles & Jars (all colors)
All Plastics (Numbered 1-7)
Soda, Juice, Water Bottles (glass or plastic)
Milk Jugs, Bleach, Detergent & Shampoo Bottles
Clean Food Containers - No Styrofoam
Tin and steel cans & lids (rinsed)
The following are not recyclable through Single Stream curbside pick-up:
No Plastic Bags (Please recycle bags at your supermarket)
No Window Glass, No Fabric, No Foam Packaging, No Styrofoam
No Recyclables Containing Food Waste
Propane/Butane containers & aerosol cans with product in them - OK when empty